Respect: Children’s Philosophy Radio
This programme was made by Steve Williams and children from Kingsland Primary School in Stoke-on-Trent. The topic they chose to discuss was respect. It would make a good stimulus for discussion.
Ideas for thinking about the podcast and ‘respect’
- Listen to the Philosophy Radio podcast. You can pause or drag the recording backwards to listen to parts again.
- What have you heard that seems interesting or important? Write down some ideas so you can remember them.
- What are your own first thoughts or questions? Write those down too.
- Talk about the podcast to others or reflect for yourself and write down your thoughts.
Here are some example questions
- Children should have the same respect as adults, shouldn’t they?
- Are there different kinds of respect? Or are there different senses of the word?
- One child says: ‘Respect is like fairness’. Do you agree? How is it like and not like ‘fairness’?
- Is there a sense that only some people should be respected?
- What has respect got to do with giving people attention?
- Some children are more capable than some adults. Do you agree? What are your next thoughts?
- Should a child be allowed to do more? Is it disrespecting them not to allow them to do things?
Does equal respect mean equal treatment? What do you think?